Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yasumi!

Title: Break

Orientation is over, but classes don't start until Tuesday. I was placed in Level one, class one, and that's fine. I'm excited to classes to start so I can really get back into my Japanese and be able to communicate better. So my classes for my time here are Japanese 1-1, Japanese Conversation (both of which are required), Japanese Seminar, Japanese Society, and Karatedo. Karate is pretty self explanitory, I excited. but in Seminar we'll end up studying Modern media, ie Miyazaki, and Osamu Tezuka! Pretty much what I want to do. The Society classes is where I'll learn the minute social behaviors so I don't embarass myself like I nearly did yesterday.

Yesterday we went in a big group to a section of Nagoya called Sakae. It was a huge, tall building busy place...also it was Saturday. Taisei, who was serving as out guide, took us to this huge shopping center...but it was all really fancy and expensive. Not my thing, or Abby's. We sat down at a coffee bar (which was cheap) and got some Iced mochas. Before we left I was about to tip our bar tender, cause the coffee was delicious, and then it occurred to me that they might not tip here, so I didn't. I felt bad about it, but I didn't. And I guess I was right to, later I found out that it is really rude to tip here. Cause waitresses and the like actually get paid really well in Japan.

Then we spilt into two groups, (some of us were going to a party later and needed to be back earlier). Abby, myself and two other girls from Tennessee took the subway back to Kaneyama, where Aeon in(the mall we first went to). Awesome time, we're going back with them Monday. Cause we STILL haven't explored the entire place yet. But after then we came back to school and got ready for this Yukata Party. Megan, on the Tennessee girls invited us. She was told about it by some of her other Japanese friends. I was actually held at a Christian church in the Sakurayama part of town. It was so much fun. They were all really excited when I told them I'm a methodist. Lol. (just like with the boy scouts)Tons of fun.

Sunday consisted of Abby and I playing soccer with the Japanese students, and other exchange students. I've got a few battle scars, but it was a lot of fun. As you would assume, I was in the middle of executing a totally awesome move with the ball...and I biffed it. "Suportsu ga sukida, demo jyozujanai." I told them I liked sports, but I wasn't skilled at them. One of the guys, Kohei gave me a drink of this energy drink-thing he had. It was in a pouch...but it wasn't a drink per say. More like mashed up jello, it was interesting. All of the Japanese guys were soooo good with the ball, after wards a bunch of us went out to eat. Walked a ways to this okonomiyaki place by the subway station near the school. Now okonomiyaki is...special. Mine was squid, shrimp, and egg, there was also many more ingredients in it but I didn't see before we cooked it. Yup this restraunt had hot plates right in the table and we cooked it ourselves. The waitress brought the ingredients to us all mixed together in a bowl raw, and we dished it out and cooked it ourselves. Kind of like a variety hash brown, I guess would be a good way of describing it. Delicious.

All is good. Goodnight, Gretchen

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sweetie, Happy things are going well, and proud of your great placement. I know you will do very well. but was surprised no art classes. Keep up the good work, love you. grama p.s did you forget camera again? LOL

    ReplyDelete