Friday, September 24, 2010

Kuro neko, Hakai

Title: Hakai the black cat

Friday night us girls went out for some good old fashioned Japanese kareoke. How that works is that we rented a room in this building for an hour and a half, complementary drinks and food. There was a huge tv mounted to the wall, and the song picker was a wireless touch pad with the database programmed into it. So you would pick the song with the stylus and a few seconds later it would come up on screen! Sang Give you hell by the All American Rejects and had my first legal drink. I figured that I knew what went in a screw driver so I got one of those...not bad if I do say so myself. And Abby and I shared a bowl of edamame, steamed soy beans which were really yummy.

This isn't all of us, but (from right to left) it's Jessica, Abby, Me, Rachelle, and Erin going for ice cream right before we left for Kareoke.
After our hour and a half was over we went down the street to the Sega arcade where I proceeded to win this...with Masa's help.

This is Hakai. Abby also has one, only he's white and his name is Takai, meaning expensive, cause he came out of a claw machine...which if you've ever played them before you know they eat through your money like that. I was more lucky on mine...how ever instead of naming him Yasui (cheap) Abby thought that they should rhyme. So mine is named Hakai...meaning destructive. Everyone thinks it's fitting considering that its my cat. Lol.

Saturday we (the girls) were going to go to the Art Museum..but we didn't. We did however go to Kojima right down the street. Kojima is a huge multi floored electronic outlet store. I didn't get anything, but I do have my eye on a dejisho. A lot of the other exchange student and japanese students have them. It's an electronic dictionary which usually has Japanese to english and I would look up words easier and properly. Because I find that if I look it up in my regular dictionary I usually use the word in the wrong context, or the don't even us that word anymore.Kanji too, there are soooo many that I don't know that are commonly used on signs and food labels. and its tiny, it would fit in my purse, about 100$ too. But that would deffinatly come after buying a cell phone, and maybe a bike. And I can't get a cell phone until I get my Alien Resident Card, which I won't get until the first week of October, sad face. This is also where Abby bought the new pokemon game, yes. Abby bought Pokemon Black version here in Japan 8 months before it comes out in the States. Now she just has to translate it as she plays. After that Abby and I were pretty much shot on energy because we'd gotten up and five that morning to skype Coe. Coe was having a Study Abroad fair, so John set up a computer and we answered questions live. It was pretty cool.

All is well, time to do some homework.
Gretchen

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure which is more evil, the blank stare that cat is giving me or the Evil Overlord look on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lad is quite enjoying first year Japanese at Wash this year. One of his primary goals is to be able to play Pokemon games in Japanese, before their American release.

    Band is going well. We are not playing "Look to This Day."

    ReplyDelete